The Friends of the San Carlos Library (Friends) is a qualified 501(c)3 non-profit organization that brings together people who view their local library as a treasury of knowledge, information, and educational entertainment. The Friends promote community support and use of the library, inform members about issues affecting the library, and provide financial assistance to the library’s collection and programs. We raise funds for supplemental materials and equipment through book sales and membership. We also sponsor cultural programs and events.
- August 1910: The San Carlos Library is the first cultural institution in San Carlos located in the Southern Pacific Depot.
- January 1916: The San Carlos Library is selected as the first branch of the San Mateo County Library Association.
- November 1963: A new library is built at a cost of $148,130 and houses 30,000 books.
- June 1997: Library bond (Measure A) for $8 million passes to build a new two-story library building and underground parking with meeting and office space.
- August 1999: New library is dedicated at a cost of $10 million and houses 70,000 items, 12 internet terminals, and outdoor space.
- August 2009: 10 year anniversary of the Library, featuring 119,000 items, 41 internet terminals, and circulation of 52,000 items monthly.
- November 2013: Renovation of the Library is completed.
- President – Laurie Seidler
- Vice President – Roy Hoyer
- Secretary – Nancy Laxson-Highton
- Treasurer – Taru Bhatia