1. Public Computer Help: Every Tuesday 10AM-noon and Thursdays 2-4PM. Our volunteer will help with computer research and printing. Free and open to the public.
2. Knitting with Arnie: Second and Fourth Wednesday evenings from 7 – 9PM. Open to all adults. Bring your supplies.
3. San Carlos Quilters Club: Second Thursday of every month at 10AM – 12PM for adults. Open to all skills levels. Bring your own supplies.
4. Tai Chi Class: Every Friday and Saturday at 10:30AM on 2nd floor in room A . For adults only.
6. Meditation for Adults: Tuesday, November 14th at 6-7PM. Join us on the 2nd Tuesday of every month. You will be introduced to light rejuvenating yoga, powerful breathing techniques, and blissful meditation.
10. Tumbao Bravo: Rhythms of Cuba: Thursday, October 19th at 6:30 PM. Enjoy jazz harmonic compositions featuring mamba, cha cha cha, rumbo and bolero.
11. Follow the Bill: Saturday, October 21st from 2 – 4 PM. Learn about current public education bills and advocacy strategies. Letter writing to elected of officials will follow.
12. Caving: Discovering Hoyo Negro: Tuesday, October 24th from 7:45 – 8:30 PM. Alberto Nava will recount the discovery of Hoyo Negro (Black Hole), a large pit in the underwater Sak Akton Cave system of the Yucatan Peninsula.
13. Teotihuacan: City of Water, City of Fire: Tuesday, October 31st from 7-8:30 PM. This slideshow lecture explores how artworks shape our understanding of Teotihuacan as an urban environment.
1. Daytime Book Club: Monday. November 6th at 10AM: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead.
2. Non-fiction Book Club: Monday, November 6th at 7PM: Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann.
3. Mystery Book Club: Wednesday, October 25th at 7pm: The Dry by Jane Harper. Nov 29th: Inherit the Bones by Emily LIttlejohn.
ALL AGES SPECIAL EVENTS
Eating Disorders Anonymous: Every Monday from 8-9 PM. A free community-led group for individuals at any stage of recovery for all eating disorders.
Learn to Play Chess: Every Saturday at 11am. Chess play and basic instruction, all skill levels welcome. Chessboards and sets provided. Just drop in.
3D Printing: Every Monday from 6:30-8PM and every 2nd and 4th Saturday from 2-4PM.
Tezkatlipoka Aztec Dance and Drums: Saturday, October 7th from 2:00 – 2:45 PM. Learn about Aztec culture from Tezkatlipoka, a San Jose local Aztec dance and drum group.
Diwali: Festival of Lights Celebration Dance: Saturday, October 14th from 2:00 – 2:45 PM. Watch Deepa Menon and her students perform a traditional Indian dance to celebrate Diwali.
Teen Programs (6th-12th Grade)
Science Action Club: Meets Thursdays from 4-5pm from September 14th to December 7th. (Will not meet November 23rd.) Space is limited to 20 participants with preference given to kids that can attend every week.
Create a Stop-Motion Movie: Friday, October 20th from 3:30 – 5:30 PM. We supply iPads, toys, and other props to create your awesome animated movie. Open to first 20 participants.
Teen Movie Night: Super 8 (PG-13): Wednesday, October 25th from 6- 8 PM. In 1979 Ohio, friends witness a train crash and investigate subsequent unexplained events.
Reading Buddies: Thursday, October 5th and 26th from 4-5 PM. *See smcl.org/events for more dates. Practice reading with a volunteer in these 15-minute sessions.
After Storytime Craft or Activity: Fridays from 11-11:30 AM Join us for a special craft or activity after Spanish-English story time.
Baby Sign Language: Thursday, October 5th from 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM Learn how to use ASL to communicate with your baby and jumpstart your child’s verbal skills. This special story time is presented by Happy Baby Signs and is funded by the Friends of the San Carlos Library.
Paws for Tales: Thursday, November 9th from 4:30-5:30PM. Children can improve their reading skills by reading to a trained therapy dog. Registration required and a parent/guardian must accompany the child.
Hindi/English Storytime (Babies – Preschool): Tuesday, October 17 at 10:30 AM. Join us for this special storytime where we will read a Diwali story and sing songs in both Hindi and English.
*Kid’s Chess Tournament (Elementary School Ages): Saturday, October 21 from 11AM – 1PM. Kids of all ages are welcome to join us for this Chess Tournament! Prizes awarded! Day of registration will be allowed on site. Please check website for more info.
The Not So Scary Halloween Magic Show: Monday, October 23rd from 3:30 – 4:15 PM. Magician Mike Della Penna puts on a magic show full of Halloween fun appropriate for all ages.
Rigamajig STEM Play (Preschool +): Saturday, October 28 through Tuesday, October 31 Play with a large-scale building kit designed for hands-on free play and STE(A)M learning. Available in the children’s room during open hours.
Dia de los Muertos Masks (All Ages): Saturday, October 28th from 2:00 – 3:00 PM Celebrate the Day of the Dead by coloring a calavera mask to use at a procession or muertos celebration.
Tricycle Music Festival: Lucky Diaz & the Family Jam Band (All Ages): Sunday, October 29th from 3 – 4 PM. Get ready for hip-shaking, head bopping dance party exploration of indie fresh pop rock beats!
Halloween Storytime and Costume Parade: Tuesday, October 31st from 10:30 – 11:00 AM. Come dressed up! This special Halloween storytime will be followed by a costume parade through the library. Pick up stickers and treats at the end of the parade. All ages,
Halloween Spooky Fun Fair: Saturday, October 31st from 3 – 5 PM. Stop by the library for pre-trick or treating fun! Join us for crafts, mad science experiments, a fun photo booth and more! All Ages.
NaNoWriMo: Young Writers Program: Tuesdays, Oct 31st – Nov 28th from 4- 5 PM. Join a storytelling workshop to start your first story! Free giveaways to the first 25 participants. Grades 4th-6th.
Mondays at 10:30AM: Preschool Story time (3-6years).
Mondays at 11:15AM: Chinese/English Bilingual Story time (all ages).
Tuesdays at 10:30AM: Toddler Story time (18-36mos).
Wednesdays at 7PM: Pajama Story time (All ages).
Thursdays at 10:30AM: Baby Rhyme Time (0-2 years).
Fridays at 10:30AM: Spanish/English Bilingual Story time.
Saturdays at 10:30AM: Family Story time.